SZÍN protects the interests, the equality of opportunity and the acknowledgement of female authors in the Hungarian literary world. It is important to help establish and build communities for female authors, to give them an opportunity to raise awareness of the systemic problems concerning them. This is the reason why the Szépírók Társasága decided to establish SZÍN. SZÍN initiates discussions with decision makers, acts for the matters of the community, and organizes actions and activities.
Budapest and whole Hungary
There is a huge obstacle to go around at the beginning of the careers of most women writers: lots of them experience sexual abuse, even from their mentors and teachers. This type of behavior often impacts the ambitions of said authors. Professional development is often difficult. Women have to meet higher expectations, and the public seems to be more restrictive and judging when it comes to their choices of subject in comparison to men. For example, lots of female authors face troubles when writing about their own experiences as women. On the one hand, women might not feel that their voices matter, and on the other hand, there is a certain kind of suspiciousness towards subjects that concern women.
For the female authors living in Hungary, and for those who live in the Hungarian diaspora.
Preventing sexual misconduct:
- Preparation and researching process of a future publication of ethical codex dedicated to the Hungarian literary life with the help of local NGOs.
-organizing conferences and workshops to make people more aware of this problem and help them avoid these situations, preparing experts materials to lessen the cases in the future
- Collaboration with local literary camps on preventing harassment, holding talks, informing the campers on sexual misconduct, keeping connection in case of occured incidents of misconduct.
- Helping victims, giving them connections to local NGOs.
Professional community building:
- SZÍN Academy would start conversations on common prejudices about women in the literary scene: we want to bring the ones who are afraid of female advocacy, seeing it as a threat, closer to women who suffer from discommodity for being a woman.
- Editing a women’s literary magazine as a pilot project that could grow into a journal. It would promote the acceptance of female publications in literary circles, could lay grounds for professional contacts between female writers and critics, and would help the jury of the prize aim attention to female publishers.
- SZÍN Seminar: Providing chance of professional progression for female writers, who, in many cases, lack the opportunity for professional development.
As a result of this work, more women are expected to write, as they could create more freely, wich will result in high quality arts. Women would be given more appreciation for their works. We want to see harassment cases drop and that no one is getting traumatised in their professional development.
An important result may be the creation of a new kind of female role in works of Hungarian literature, so the characters would not only be damsels in distress. A new kind of approach could impact the works of men and even lead the general public to awareness and help lower the prejudice against women writers. Their works would reach the public more wich will also help reduce bias. This way, literature becomes more diverse.
The goal of SZÍN is to start discussions between women writers and the decision makers of the literary world, and to raise awareness of an important societal phenomenon. One that is present in the literary world of Hungary, one that must be taken seriously. Most of the decision makers do not understand, do not see the difficulties that female authors must face. These issues often do not even reach them. SZÍN wishes to change this.
SZÍN plans to cooperate with organizations (ie. councils, local governments, businesses, companies, media) inside and outside of the literary world for the improvement of opportunities, acceptance and acknowledgement of women writers. This could help the commitment of actors of different societal levels to each other, and could induce structural changes.
SZÍN is a working group and forum of Society of Hungarian Authors, representing the women writers of the Hungarian literary scene.
Prejudice against women is present on different levels of Hungarian society. We find the betterment of Hungarian women writers to be an important cause, since both men and women have the rights to develop professionally, to have equal opportunities and to be acknowledged. This will make Hungarian literature more diverse, will help to reduce prejudice against women on a public level, and will inspire other women to launch a career in literature.
Funding requested from Civic Europe
Award and creating more publicity for women writers: 4000 EUR
Research: 2300 EUR
Encouraging critics to write articles and critics on women writers: 2300 EUR
Women literary journal pilot-edition: 2100 EUR
SZIN-Academy: 1500 EUR
SZIN-Seminars: 1500 EUR
Workshops, conferences, experts materials to prevent sexual misconduct: 2800 EUR
Festival: 2800 EUR
Organizers: 3800 EUR
Administration: 1900 EUR
- Examples of the women rights movements in arts implemented in other countries.
- Suggestions of further international cooperations.
- Best practices.