Open Space Foundation
I cleaned this (non-formal group from Veliki Preslav town)
The project comes from the need young people to learn to organize and look for answers to the problems they face. The key and reason for success is that youth will participate in every aspect of the project:
- in management,
- in planning,
- in execution;
- in the evaluation of activities.
As a result:
- at least 10 fields in the tonw will be renovated;
- we will develop sensitivity in the participants themselves regarding the environment and their own role in its attractiveness.
Town of Veliki Preslav - northeastern Bulgaria (population 9444 people according NSI data, 2016).
The demographic crisis and the high number of economically inactive people are one of the big problems here. The reasons are different: lack of jobs, of adequate education, or the opportunity to realize themselves on the labor market. It is becoming increasingly difficult for young people, who are the engine of economic growth for the area, to find meaning in staying and contributing to the development of their area. And for those who lives here, apathy has settled permanently in their lives.
Our project addresses the expectation of local people someone else (in general the mayor) to repair the environment, to fix life, to equalize their standard with that of others, and especially to those engaged in seasonal work abroad and returning with imported cars for short vacations in your city.
We will work with youth (13-17 old) because:
- they have an energy charge that can become an engine of real change for the region;
- are at an age when they still discover and compare, believe, but also doubt.
- at least 30 young people from all three demographic groups: Christians, Muslims and Roma, who in recent years have lived in parallel communities (to which the political groups in the country also have a great contribution);
- also - the local community and volunteers,
- the municipality.
After mapping problem points in the city, young people will offer their ideas for improving the environment. And the people of the city will be invited to discuss the ideas. Ten of them will be selected for joint intervention.
We will activate young people with whom we are already in contact and who have enough confidence in the things we do. By bringing them to work together, we will confront them with the need to be in dialogue with each other, to seek solutions together, to defend their ideas and to give up on others.
The whole process will be documented in a video, which will help them in the end to make a self-assessment to share with others. This will help them, but also those who do not yet have an opinion, to trust the principles of democracy and through their activity to achieve through dialogue, synchrony with other people who inhabit their city.
It will show them how to reach joint decisions and whether they are as easy and fast as the populists are trying to suggest, especially before elections.
Expected results in the short term period:
- At least 10 points in the city will be renovated, with the joint efforts, ideas and work of local people;
- We will encourage young people in the community to be more active and censitive of their environment;
- we will train the local administration and the community itself how to interact in the name of a common cause, instead of wasting energy in opposition and hatred;
In the long term plan:
- We will develop sensitivity in the participants themselves regarding the environment and their own role in its attractiveness;
- we will help the relations between people from the different social groups in the region to improve.
The project will awaken civic activity through:
1. Appropriate training for young people (13-17 old)
2. Joint actions subsequently to show that the environment and circumstances depend on our own efforts, actions and/or inactions
2.1. Together we will map points in the city that need intervention and change.
2.2. We will make projects: where and what we can change and update ourselves.
3. We will include local volunteers, the Municipality and the services:
3.1. To repair and clean up areas that we have chosen to change together;
3.2. To make recommendations to landowners and property owners.
4. We will document the process and share it in the city and on social media to express the voice of those people who are disbelieving in change, but with joint efforts, manage to achieve it.
Each project we start working on is the result of preliminary research and detailed preparation with specific people. After identifying their needs, we decide together how to act to meet them. Once we start working, we manage to develop not only relationships, but also the potential of these people, to inspire them with hope and desire for change. And that motivates us to keep going together. To work for a better and harmonious society in which we help each other to develop TOGETHER.
Funding requested from Civic Europe
Training for youth - 200 EUR
Brandig T-shirt with logo "Move your finger" - 180 EUR
Mapping and printing locations in the town - 400 EUR
Printing project ideas for intervention - 600 EUR
Rent a hall and sound equipment for meetings - 300 EUR
Materials, tools and protection supplies for renovation of the choosen places - 12000 EUR (approximatelly 1200 euro per location)
Video documentary for the whole process - 2000 EUR
Administartive costs (phone, moving from point to point) - 2400 EUR
Every one is welcome to give us feedback and proposal for cooperation.