The project targets youth leaders with an immigrant and refugee background. The general objective is to create and implement with them a civic education program about the institutions, the administrative structure and the parties that fill the political life of the region of the Basque Country enabling them to promote civic engagement and social inclusion and integration amongst the youths they work with.
The project is taking place in the Basque Country (an autonomous region in the north of Spain).
In the region, immigrant and refugee youth face racism and xenophobia in various forms. They are depicted as thieves, criminals and lazy people who are here just to benefit from social services. Some political leaders, especially those from the right wing, go to the extent of associating immigrants and refugee youth to sexual crimes like rape and assassinations of women and young people. Some institutions and authorities, consider immigrant and refugee youth as mere “elements” for consumption and labour force. Immigrant and refugee youth are often not considered as citizens with voice, talents and skills that can and should be involved in the decision-making processes. Unfortunately, little is being done by institutions to build the capacities of immigrant and refugee youth organisations.
We are doing this for immigrant and refugee youth organisations, to access information and skills on active participation, civic engagement and the institutions in
The project will have as direct beneficiaries, 60 youth leaders from immigrant and refugee organisations. In turn, they will act as multipliers in their various organisations or groups. According to recent studies and reports conducted by the Coordinating Group of Civil Society Organisations, immigrant and refugee youth organisations are not represented or involved in the decision-making processes because they lack information and knowledge. In our daily work we also realise that these organisations are not involved in decision making processes. One of the studies conducted in 2019, highlighted the need to build the capacities
If this project is funded, steps would be taken towards its implementation. The steps could be listed as follow:
• Internal meetings of the project team to review and bring needed adaptation to the designed implementation plan
• Launching of calls to recruit trainers and experts. We would use our social media and those of our partners to do so,
What about also creating a social media space to promote visibility of the project?
• Creation of the contents of the training and capacity building sessions.
• Contacts with the local organizations, explaining the project and inviting them to join and to discuss how effective and active they can contribute to the project
• Receiving feedbacks from various stakeholders on the initiatives and incorporating their suggestions to the implementation plan and training and capacity building sessions
• Organize and conduct the training and capacity building courses
• Contacts with the local authorities and political parties inviting them to the round tables
• Round tables with the local authoritities and political parties
• Dissemination of the outcomes and results with other youth organizations in the Basque Country and beyond through social media and physical meetings
• Evaluation and reporting by the project team
• More than 60 leaders of immigrant and refugee youth and their organisations will have been trained
• An educational program about the institutions, the administrative structure of the Basque Country would have been conducted, the program made available through our social media, website, and those of our partners to whoever willing to pursue a similar training
• The communication, and advocacy skills of immigrant and refugee youth leaders and their organizations would have been built on how to analyze the policies, debate them and be able to make suggestions for improvement.
• Immigrant and refugee youth organizations and other stakeholders would have cooperated to promote the civic and political participation of immigrant and refugee youth.
• Civic Eruope would have been made known
Knowledge is power, states the popular saying. Here in the Basque Country, all residents benefit from a social protection structure. But there is a lack of knowledge about the institutions, the political administration and organization of the region hindering the civic and political participation of immigrant and refugee youth. The implementation of the project will serve to create a program of civic education and training around those topics and their relevance not only for the leaders of immigrant and refugee youth and their organizations but also for the region, since it will nurture acceptance, peaceful coexistence, and social inclusion. We would have also contributed to creating multipliers to fight racism, xenophonia and fostering civic engagement and social inclusion
Koudjo Mawuli KLEVO, expert in political participation and Human Rights
Abdul Mumuni Nurudeen , trainer and expert in Social Inclusion
Paciencia Okon Poco, expert in intervention with marginalized collectives
Although the image the locals have of immigrant and refugee youth is not that positive, we realize that they are a useful and valuable when it comes to local development. Their lack of participation and inclusion is the result of absence of capacity building and empowerment. The knowledge, skills and abilities gained by the youth leaders and their organizations would make them more effective. It would be the first time ever immigrant, refugee youth leaders and their organizations are trained and educated about civic engagement and social inclusion. We would make a difference.
Funding requested from Civic Europe
Participants transport: 2000
Participants accomodation and meals: 8000
Travel trainers and Team: 1000
Trainers accomodation and meals: 1500
Fees for traimers and experts: 5000
office supply: 300
Design posters: 600
Phone charges: 300
Video recording and post production; 1500
Public relation and advertisement: 2500
Administrative and personel costs: 10000
if our initiative is considered as fitting with the requirements we would like to recieve feedbacks and comments on how to improve it and also ideas on how to effective implement it. If organizations have already worked on suchlike ideas we would like to recieve feedbacks from them.