Secondary School Vela Blagoeva
Building a station to measure air quality, creating a website and a Facebook page to inform the citizens about the air quality in the neighbourhood close the factory. The site and the Facebook page will be operated mainly by students with the help of IT and Science teachers, which will lead to the enhancement of their digital skills, and influence the community to create an action plan to convince the local authorities of the necessity to make further steps to take measures against air pollution
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
In the first place, we need to raise awareness about the problem by building the station and publishing the results on a regular basis. To this end, there is a great need to create a website and popularise it on Facebook as well as among the residents of Veliko Tarnovo and the region. We also need to convince the young people to become more active and participate in the process of influencing the local authorities of the need to take measures in order to ensure the health and well-being of the citizens.
What is more, there is a strong need to engage the young people from the community that only by taking action will they manage to create a safer and healthier environment for all the residents.
The key target groups are:
1. Residents of the Buzludzha neighbourhood.
2. Students from Vela Blagoeva secondary school.
3. Citizens of Veliko Tarnovo
1. Making a survey among residents regarding air quality to determine the people’s attitudes.
2. Building a station, which will control air quality.
2. Selection of teachers and students to participate in the project.
3. Starting a debating club for the students to practise public speaking skills.
4. Conducting meetings with parents, residents, the Regional Department of Ecology, management of the factory and local authorities.
5. Organizing seminars on maintaining a website and publishing information in it.
6. Creating leaflets and information panels for the residents of the Buzludzha neighbourhood.
7. Publication of materials in the local media.
8. Organising meetings with residents and representatives of the factory and the local government.
9. Learning about the legislation and the ways to approach the authorities.
At the end of the project, we expect to have raised awareness among the residents about the quality of the air they breathe. Also, we believe that after all the activities the local authorities will convince the management of the factory to take further measures to improve the air quality. The students will have gained knowledge about the legal procedures, how to submit petitions and persuade the public of the necessity to act.
The project will first raise awareness that it is of great importance to actively participate in the decision-making process and that everyone should have access to information. What is more, the young people will learn more about protecting the environment and creating a healthy environment for the future generations. The debating club will enhance their public speaking skills and persuasive abilities. The young people will have an insight on the local legislation and the instruments they need to adopt to work together with them as well as the necessary protocols to address the authorities.
The members of our team are experienced teachers and administrators, who care about the students’ health and well-being, and are concerned that if air quality is not ensured, this will have a long-term effect on the residents of the neighbourhood. The school is in proximity to the factory and the students spend the breaks in the school yard. If the air is polluted, this is a serious threat to their health.
The team consists of the school principal, deputy principal, a Science teacher, an ICT teacher, a Civic Education teacher, a teacher of English, the legal advisor, and the school accountant.
Funding requested from Civic Europe
Project management - 1500 EUR
Building and installing the station – 20000 EUR
Building and maintenance of the website – 3000 EUR
Lectures and training – 2000 EUR
Office expenses – 1000 EUR
Public relations – 1000 EUR
We would be glad to hear about similar initiatives in Europe and learn about their experience. It would be of great importance to communicate and exchange ideas to successfully complete our project.