Polish Association of the Blind ( PAB )
Persons with visual impairment often choose their social exclusion. Such situation is determined by lack of awareness among sighted people, insufficient self-esteem and also by their passive attitude toward life. The goal of our ideas is to strengthen right and active behavior in life among persons with the visual impairment.
Poland, eight regions that need proper support and assistance in the Mazovian Voievodeship
There is a strong need to boost motivation and active civic participation among persons with the visual impairment so that, despite their vision loss, they can act as active members in their local community engaged in public life and also to cooperate in resolving their own problems.
In Poland about three million citizens suffer from visual impairment and they are in the potential risk of social exclusion caused by severe limitations In perceptron of the Word. Vision loss strongly affects quality of functioning in family and in local community. It is commonly believed that persons with disabilities cannot live independently. Contrary to that common belief, Polish association of the Blind, an organization founded by blind, governed by the blind and for the blind has different experience that lack of vision does not always mean a verdict of passiveness and and dependence on other people. Instead, we can, like other people, be active citizens able to communicate our needs cleary and simultaneously help those in need.
In order to fulfill our goals we plan to:
1. Prepare an action plan;
2. cooperate with local units of PAB in selected areas of our activity;
3. promote the project;
4. recruit project participants;
5. organize: workshops, meetings, discussions and events to strengthen integration;
6. appoint leaders among persons with the visual impairment;
7. prepare brochures and teaching aids;
8. cooperate with local communities and institutions operating there.
Improved awareness among local authorities concerning needs and problems of the visually impaired This step will form positive long-term attitudes of local community toward persons with the visuall impairment. Our actions will also increase social participation of the visually impaired who will, on the whole, cooperate actively to improve their life quality.
By performing these activities, persons with the visual impairment will have a great impact on decisions concerning their environment.
For years we have been acting for the visually impaired and we would like to adapt our actions to meet their needs and expectations. We have gained social trust among blind and visually impaired and we want to carry out different actions not to disappoint them.
Funding requested from Civic Europe
1. Salaries for persons engaged in the project; 20 000 EUR
2. Employment of project staff; 5 000 EUR
3. Administrative expenses; 3 000 EUR
4. Travel costs 3 000 EUR
5. Food and accommodation expenses; 4 000 EUR
6. Expenses related to promotion of the project; 1 000 eur
7. Expenses related to preparing brochures and teaching materials. 4 000 eur
We would like to know if our project is clear and understandable. We also would like to know if our idea corespond to the main assumptions of the project.