Climate crisis is affecting many Europeans. Although the Europe's energy market is undergoing a transition towards a decentralized model based on renewable energy, such process is not present in Croatia. Therefore, we aim to encourage population in Krizevci region to invest in renewable energy, help them in development of energy projects, to educate them about climate crisis and the impact on the quality of life and to be a driver of change in local community towards carbon neutral area.
Krizevci region, Croatia
The region is highly rural with a small urban center in Krizevci. The challenge we want to address is strengthening civic engagement in the field of energy and sustainable development, strengthening citizen participation in city decisions-making and programs, strengthening joint projects in energy development and education of citizens on sustainable development and climate issues with encouragement of the cooperation with the local government.. By building an Energy Community the project will serve as a systemic change that will strengthen social cohesion and introduce a new paradigm of local sustainable development.
We aim to "wake up" local citizens in this rural area to be engaged in recognising and solving local problems, with focus on strengthening capacity for democratic processes among youth. We will engage different perspectives from all local voices in the communities, including those who feel excluded, especially in regards to energy poverty.
Main target groups are:
• Youth in the region as main drivers of sustainable development and energy transition in the region in the future;
• Town administration as main decision makers;
• Local civil society organizations as creative factor in the community;
• Citizens of the Krizevci region including all voices of the community which is often polarized in the idea of the future development.
1. Enhancing democratic processes
1.1. Three panel discussions “Dialogue with citizens” on community development, participatory system and proposing solutions.
1.2. Cooperation with town administration - enhancing programs for citizens, creating possibilities for partnership projects, including citizens in decision making–four meetings, two public consultations.
2. Education of citizens and youth - strengthening the community
2.1. Workshops (4) - Education of citizens in the thematic areas of energy, sustainable development, climate change, good governance, project development.
2.2. Promotional “energy and sustainable development” campaign for the citizens in Krizevci region.
2.3. Organization of Public competition for the best ideas on how to transform the region.
At the end of our project we will have:
1. Informed and trained citizens in:
- Sustainable development principles and SDGs
- Energy Communities,
- Innovative tools for participatory decision making,
- Good governance,
- Project development “From idea to the project”
2. Active energy cooperative with engaged citizens in the Krizevci region
3. At least two developed joint projects in thematic area of energy, climate, urban and rural development to bring together relevant community stakeholders in defined priority areas.
4. Implemented Promotional Campaign
5. Organized Public competition for the best ideas on how to transform the town/area in more sustainable place with awards for the best idea
We will practice deliberation processes with citizens, conduct dialogue events with local government, show them a good practices of citizens' possibility to produce their own renewable energy. This will be a new practice in the area, which will contribute to democracy and active citizenship. The only way forward with joint solutions for the development of the region are through cooperation of all sectors – town administration, Energy Cooperative Krizevci, NGO sector and citizens. Through activities of Energy cooperative we want to strengthen citizens and their projects in sustainability. ODRAZ will facilitate the process of citizens’ participation in projects and education of them in the thematic areas of energy, climate crisis, sustainable development and project development.
The core activities of both partner organizations involved in the project are the one planned for implementation in this project.
Moreover, as KLIK organization was just started as a branch of the biggest energy cooperative in the country their main motivation is to show the with this pilot actions the region can be inspiration for other regions in Croatia and Europe.
Funding requested from Civic Europe
• Project management and Communication
• Community engagement /Networking / Facilitation/ Capitalization
• Events & workshops
• Information sharing through Websites, social media
Subtotal: 36.000 euro
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
Subtotal: 1.500 euro
• Give-aways (awards)
• Publications and other printed materials
• Event and workshops
• Website hosting
• Other expenses
Subtotal: 11.500 euro
TOTAL SUM: 48.000